Making Floating Measurements

Question: How do I know where to hook up my probes if I don’t know where ground is?

Answer: Differential probes allow you to make floating measurements. For switching loss measurements, you’ll want to look at the voltage across the switching device.  For example, with a MOSFET, you would connect your differential probe to the drain and the source to measure the voltage drop across the MOSFET.

Explore posts in the same categories: Ask Scope Guru Q/A, Power, Probes

Tags: , ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: